Have you considered getting into Real Estate?

What fixtures are included in the sale of a property?


Buyers often ask what fixtures are included with the sale. When they say fixtures I think they mean the stove, microwave, refrigerator, light fixtures, drapes, and that type of thing. I had a buyer ask last night specifically about the light fixtures in the bedroom that she is buying and she really wants to make sure that they are included.

I like to explain this in a couple different ways. Basically, there is what we call personal property and real property. I always say that if you take a house, take the roof off, and turn it upside down and shake it, anything that falls out is what we would call personal property and anything that stays attached would be called real property.

Here in St. Louis, the real property is what I call naturally included in the contract where it is already hand written in there. Things like the hardware that holds up the drapes, stove, dishwasher, or light fixtures are naturally included.

The two main things that most buyers ask for that is not naturally included are the refrigerator and the washer and dryer.

You want to make sure that we write those in if you are interested in keeping those. So, those light fixtures up in the master bedroom are almost always included unless they are specifically excluded.

Of course, everything is on a case by case basis so you want to make sure that you consult with your agent and talk about any specific questions you might have.”


Have more real estate questions?


Posted in: Q&A

Back to: Real Estate Questions

Skip to content